South San Francisco, CA
Development ScientistApply now
What you'll do
- Experimental design: carefully design experiments to ensure a smooth development process
- Process characterization and guardbanding: determine how close a prototype matches a specified end product through careful evaluation of its methods and ensure that it can operate with in tolerances suitable for a clinical lab
- Automated Method Development: work with an interdisciplinary team to convert manual methods to efficient automated methods
- Data Analysis: work with large genomic data sets
- Verification: determine if our new methods and products meet our designed specifications
- Validation: determine the analytical validity of any new changes to our methods or products.
- Monitoring: monitor the performance of newly released products and methods to ensure that we have delivered according to plan
- Data Analysis: present clear analysis on large data sets
- Process Optimization: develop new assay chemistries with the goal of minimizing cost and turnaround time while maintaining accuracy
- Given a problem with an unknown etiology, you will work with one or more teams to identify possible causes and risks, test the possibilities, and make the specifications to implement any of the necessary improvements.
- You have a PhD in Molecular Biology, Computational Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering (or similar field), and/or significant independent bench experience as demonstrated by publications or prior employment
- You are familiar with next-gen sequencing protocols and operation of Illumina or Ion Torrent instruments, preferred
- You have advanced knowledge of principles, concepts and theories within your main discipline and you’ve developed some knowledge of processes outside current discipline.
- You’re able to collaborate and coordinate effectively with at least 1-2 functions outside of R&D (i.e. automation, software engineering, etc.)
- Programming experience and/or training in statistics is highly preferred
- A strong desire to build extraordinary products.
Counsyl is driven by some of the brightest people in the industry. Our interview process is geared to ensure that we continue to hire the very best. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
Our interview process is composed of practical and situational interviews in a series of settings spanning Skype, practical exams, and in-person meetings. Our goal is to gauge both your ability to succeed in the first 90 days as well as your capacity to scale with us as we grow.
Throughout it all, we are looking to understand why you are driven to be a part of our company. Specifically, we want to know how you identify with our mission and will contribute to our team.