Counsyl is a technology company that strives to give millions of men and women access to vital information about their bodies, helping them confidently make choices about their lives. The team consists of world class engineers, scientists and clinical experts as well as a renowned engineering and scientific advisory board. Counsyl integrates sophisticated technology with custom robotic automation in its accredited medical laboratory. This focus on technology has made Counsyl a leader in helping patients and doctors communicate about medical results in real time. Its products have won the Wall Street Journal’s Innovation Award for Medicine, and have been named one of Scientific American's "Top 10 World Changing Ideas."Counsyl’s Family Prep Screen has already helped hundreds of thousands of people discover critical information before having children, and the Counsyl platform extends beyond family preparation to include inherited cancer screening. Led by co-founders Ramji Srinivasan, CEO; Eric Evans, Chief Scientist; and Rishi Kacker, VP of Engineering, Counsyl has raised a total of $93M and is privately funded by Founders Fund, Felicis Ventures, Rosemont Seneca Technology Partners, Goldman Sachs, and Google executive David Drummond.
What you'll do
- Method Research: invent assay methodologies that will enable expansion into new target markets
- Assay Development: develop new assay chemistries with the goal of minimizing cost and turnaround time while maintaining accuracy
- Sequencing Protocol Design: design panels for the latest sequence capture methods and optimize protocols for targeted clinical sequencing assays
- You have a BA/BS or MS in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry (or similar field), and/or 2 or more years of full-time experience working in a laboratory utilizing molecular biology techniques.
- Previous experience working with minimal supervision is a plus.
- Able to accurately document your work and effectively communicate progress in written and verbal form.
- You are quantitative-minded and know your way around a computer. Actual programming experience and/or training in statistics is desirable.
- You are familiar with next-gen sequencing protocols and operation of Illumina or Ion Torrent instruments.
- Most importantly, you do not rest until you’ve optimized your experiments, and want to see them used in the clinical care of millions of patients.
Counsyl is a health technology company that offers DNA screening for diseases that can impact men, women and their children. The Counsyl philosophy is simple: screen for diseases where advanced knowledge makes a difference in health outcomes, whether it’s changing a behavior, pursuing preventative measures, or simply preparing for what lies ahead. The Counsyl team includes an accomplished group of problem-solvers — top engineers, scientists, and designers — who are taking the lead on building the modern clinical laboratory. Scientific rigor, custom robotics, and software are at the heart of every Counsyl product, resulting in better, faster and more affordable screens that are broadly accessible. Beyond the laboratory, Counsyl offers doctors and patients a technology platform for results delivery in real time, with on-demand access to board-certified genetic counselors. Counsyl has screened more than 700,000 patients and served more than 6,000 health care professionals in its CLIA-certified, CAP-accredited and NYS CLEP-permitted clinical laboratory. The company has raised a total of $102 million and is privately backed by Pilot Growth Equity, Goldman Sachs Asset Management, Founders Fund, Felicis Ventures, David Drummond, and other high profile investors.
Counsyl is driven by some of the brightest people in the industry. Our interview process is geared to ensure that we continue to hire the very best.
Our interview process is composed of practical and situational interviews in a series of settings spanning Skype, practical exams, and in-person meetings. Our goal is to gauge both your ability to succeed in the first 90 days as well as your capacity to scale with us as we grow.
Throughout it all, we are looking to understand why you are driven to be a part of our company. Specifically, we want to know how you identify with our mission and will contribute to our team.