Software, automation, and design are at the heart of Counsyl’s mission and drive our innovative approach to health technology products, platforms, and operations. We are a team of builders: our custom-built infrastructure and products run on an open-source stack of tools, such as Python, Django, JS, Postgres, etc. Counsyl is seeking a Manager/Sr. Manager Software Engineering, Genomics to lead a team of talented software engineers in working alongside Lab Directors, Variant Curators, Genetic Counselors, Program/Product Managers to create software that’s revolutionizing the clinical lab and modernizing the patient/clinic experience. We are seeking a highly technical, experienced, and motivated manager who is passionate about using software to reshape healthcare.
What you’ll do:
- Provide technical leadership -- articulate high-level technical strategy and product vision, encourage technical discussions, promote cross-functional projects, and facilitate code reviews to drive the shipping of quality code into production
- Grow your team -- work with recruiting to source, hire, and onboard talented and passionate engineers
- Lead performance reviews and career development for new and existing engineers
- Create and launch product/platform initiatives from conception to deployment using modern open source technologies.
- The Genomics Manager would specifically focus on areas involving a mix of clinical genomics and software engineering challenges, such as disease risk calculations, report generation, report review and signout, genetic counselor and lab director workflows, data management for analytics/research/sharing, rich data exchanges with technically sophisticated clients over EMR.
- A minimum of 3 years (5-7 years) of “hand-on” industry experience with at least 1 year experience in hiring and mentoring software engineers.
- A leader who can motivate technical teams to design, test, and ship maintainable code within a fast-paced, collaborative production environment
- You LOVE guiding and mentoring engineers along their career path -- whether they are a seasoned veteran or a recent college graduate
- Must have strong programming skills and demonstrated proficiency in working with large datasets in distributed computing environments
- Skilled in software engineering, full-stack development, and fluency with at least one programming language (Python, Ruby, JS, etc.); deploying and building workflows and pipelines in AWS is a plus
- A Bachelors in computer science or related field
- Nice to have - A PhD in genome informatics, computational biology, computer science or related field (A science or genomics background is NOT required - solving these problems requires a fundamental understanding of CS, practical software engineering skills, and the ability to work/manage others in a fast-paced production environment)
Counsyl is a health technology company that offers DNA screening for diseases that can impact men, women and their children. The Counsyl philosophy is simple: screen for diseases where advanced knowledge makes a difference in health outcomes, whether it’s changing a behavior, pursuing preventative measures, or simply preparing for what lies ahead.
The Counsyl team includes an accomplished group of problem-solvers — top engineers, scientists, and designers — who are taking the lead on building the modern clinical laboratory. Scientific rigor, custom robotics, and software are at the heart of every Counsyl product, resulting in better, faster and more affordable screens that are broadly accessible. Beyond the laboratory, Counsyl offers doctors and patients a technology platform for results delivery in real time, with on-demand access to board-certified genetic counselors.
Counsyl has screened more than 750,000 patients and served more than 10,000 health care professionals in its CLIA-certified, CAP-accredited and NYS CLEP-permitted clinical laboratory. The company has raised a total of $102 million and is privately backed by Pilot Growth Equity, Goldman Sachs Asset Management, Founders Fund, Felicis Ventures, David Drummond, and other high profile investors.
Counsyl is driven by some of the brightest people in the industry. Our interview process is geared to ensure that we continue to hire the very best. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
Our interview process is composed of practical and situational interviews in a series of settings spanning Skype, practical exams, and in-person meetings. Our goal is to gauge both your ability to succeed in the first 90 days as well as your capacity to scale with us as we grow.
Throughout it all, we are looking to understand why you are driven to be a part of our company. Specifically, we want to know how you identify with our mission and will contribute to our team.