South San Francisco, CA
Senior Manager, Software Engineering - GenomicsApply now
What you’ll do:
- Provide technical leadership -- articulate high-level technical strategy and product vision, encourage technical discussions, promote cross-functional projects, and facilitate code reviews to drive the shipping of quality code into production
- Grow your team -- work with recruiting to source, hire, and onboard talented and passionate engineers
- Lead performance reviews and career development for new and existing engineers
- Create and launch product/platform initiatives from conception to deployment using modern open source technologies.
- The Genomics Manager would specifically focus on areas involving a mix of clinical genomics and software engineering challenges, such as disease risk calculations, report generation, report review and signout, genetic counselor and lab director workflows, data management for analytics/research/sharing, rich data exchanges with technically sophisticated clients over EMR.
- A minimum of 3 years (5-7 years) of “hand-on” industry experience with at least 1 year experience in hiring and mentoring software engineers.
- A leader who can motivate technical teams to design, test, and ship maintainable code within a fast-paced, collaborative production environment
- You LOVE guiding and mentoring engineers along their career path -- whether they are a seasoned veteran or a recent college graduate
- Must have strong programming skills and demonstrated proficiency in working with large datasets in distributed computing environments
- Skilled in software engineering, full-stack development, and fluency with at least one programming language (Python, Ruby, JS, etc.); deploying and building workflows and pipelines in AWS is a plus
- A Bachelors in computer science or related field
- Nice to have - A PhD in genome informatics, computational biology, computer science or related field (A science or genomics background is NOT required - solving these problems requires a fundamental understanding of CS, practical software engineering skills, and the ability to work/manage others in a fast-paced production environment)
Counsyl is driven by some of the brightest people in the industry. Our interview process is geared to ensure that we continue to hire the very best. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
Our interview process is composed of practical and situational interviews in a series of settings spanning Skype, practical exams, and in-person meetings. Our goal is to gauge both your ability to succeed in the first 90 days as well as your capacity to scale with us as we grow.
Throughout it all, we are looking to understand why you are driven to be a part of our company. Specifically, we want to know how you identify with our mission and will contribute to our team.